Beyond her tennis skills, there are so many fun facts about Maria Sharapova that most people might not know. Read on for all the latest trivia and news about Maria.
- Maria Yuryevna Sharapova was born on April 19, 1987 in Nyagan, Russia.
- Her tennis career began at the age of six. By the time she was nine, Maria was training at Nick Bollettieri's Tennis Academy in Florida.
- She defeated Serena Williams to be crowned the 2004 Women's Wimbledon champion.
- Rumor has it that Maria dated Adam Levine, Andy Roddick, Cristiano Ronaldo, and Juan Carlos Ferrero.
- Maria's loudest grunt on the court was measured at 101.2 decibels in June 2005 breaking the record set by Monica Seles at 93.2 decibels.
- In 2005, she was named one of the 50 Most Beautiful People by People Magazine.
- The Forbes 2006 Richest Young Celebrities List reported that she earned $18.2 million in 2005. This made her the highest paid female athlete of the year.
- In 2007, Forbes magazine estimated her earnings for the past year at $23 million.
- She has done TV commercial work for Cannon, Palmolive, and ESPN Sports Center. She also posed in print ads for TAGHeuer watches.
Quotes From Maria Sharapova
"I was born in Russia and I still have a big family there. Is it even possible to explain?! It just should be felt. I know there is russian blood inside me. Near americans I feel myself Russian first of all."
"Do you know what a pleasure it is to drink some coffee at home? No one serve you - you just make it yourself. To spend time with your family, to sleep at home, not in the hotel but in your bed. Home - this is the best place for being, for rest."
"This year I decided that the most important thing was my health. Because when you are healthy you are happy. Even when you lose. That’s the main thing – to be healthy."
"My dad is the most important person for me. More important then my trainer. I need and love my family more then anything else. I don’t know what would I’ve done without my dad."